Wednesday 1 April 2015

Singapore-Day 4

This morning after breakfast we returned to our hotel room where (because today was our "free" day) we planned the day ahead with the options being: Xcape 5D Room Game (this is a 5D game where you are locked in a room for an hour and before the hour is up you have to have both figured out your set crime you were given and escaped the room threw passages, hidden doors etc.), Art and Science Museum (pretty self-explanatory), Chinatown (like the Arab district except it is a lot older, chinese and a more rich cultural history) and the last one Raffles Hotel. Mum voted Chinatown, all of us wanted to go to Raffles as we have seen the show TENKO and we missed out on(my personal favorite) the escape the room game sadly but nevertheless we set off for Chinatown.

When we first arrived at Chinatown this is the first thing we saw.

                                  


                                  


                                  


As we were walking around chinatown we saw the different shops selling different things like roasted chestnuts, lanterns, back-packs, dried animals for medicinal purposes and frilly things. You know what I might just have some photos.


                                  
                                  



                                  


                                  


                                  


                                  


                                  


                                  


                                  


                                  

When we were nearing the end of our trip to chinatown we saw a sign describing a western fast food restaurant just 20m around the corner (for those Americans it means 20 meters not 20 miles), so we thought we'd pop in for a visit. The problem was, that I tried to take a photo of the different McDonalds menu for the blog but one of the workers their said "no!" so I was put off from the idea. Anyway, after the trip to chinatown we caught the metro to the Esplanade stop where we got off and headed to the famous (it really is quite famous) hotel, Raffles. At this point in time I was abnormally excited for the visit, when we arrived I was just in awe, I mean the history of the place is amazing let alone the stellar tranquility and the quaintness of it all is quite something to behold. To start with the drive as you will see soon surrounds a trimmed plant which leads up to the steps which carry on into the fantastic and historic main building. Following my first impressions of the place was a self-tour of the grounds complete with a visit to the main courtyard, the Long Bar, Gift Shop, not so main courtyard and I saw where the actors on TENKO had their daily afternoon tea which raffles is also famous for. Now for the thing you've all been waiting for.... the photos!!

   Displaying image2.JPG
    

    
Displaying image3.JPG
    

    
Displaying image4.JPG
                              


 Displaying image5.JPG                             
Displaying image6.JPG

                              
                                 Displaying image7.JPG


Displaying image8.JPG

                              


    Displaying image9.JPG                          


     Displaying image13.JPG


     
Displaying image11.JPG
     

Displaying image12.JPG
     

 After this we headed back to our hotel where we again chilled out before heading out to dinner this time we went to a Mexican Taquerilla, um, it was interesting yeah, but I wasn't expecting that a free taste bud tranquilizer came with the dinner. It was hot, spicy whatever you want to call it, yeah after the first bite into my taco I thought "Hmm, are my lips supposed to be on fire or should I tell someone?" but my parents didn't agree so I guess to a person who doesn't like spices it was pretty hot. After dinner we headed back to the hotel, we made it back in time to see the amazing fountain show I won't bore you with the details a) because it was so long and b) because I won't be able to remember it all. Following the show me and my dad walked part way across the bridge next to the hotel to get some photos.

1 comment:

  1. What a feast for the eyes (and nose I suspect) all that food in Chinatown would have been. I cant see Raffles pics yet but maybe tomorrow it will be sorted. But I can imagine anyway - I recall the heat but the absolute quietness and tranquillity in the inner courtyard which you have described so well Joseph. The calm before what I suspect will be the bustling busyness, noise and vibrancy of India. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete