Monday 11 July 2016

Quebec Day 1(ish) - Trying to Get to Quebec


Our last day in Chicago started off well as we only had breakfast and the checking out to do. After these goals had been achieved we took a taxi cab to the airport, checked our bags in (which was no mean feat due to technical difficulties until Mum laid down the law). Once we had checked our bags we, surprisingly, passed quickly through the TSA checkpoint, this was followed by a walk which seemed to cover the length of the Sahara. Exercise for the day...check. By this time it was around lunch time and we had settled into our seats next to the boarding gate, bought lunch and were waiting for the exciting part. Sadly the boarding call came whilst I was visiting the restrooms(lucky me) which left us boarding our airbus later than desired. But hey, they weren't going to leave without me.


When I was walking down the airbridge between the plane and terminal I felt fine, it was when I reached the gate to the plane that I felt something had gone awry. I thought for a flight such as the Chicago-Quebec route, a regular size plane would be in order. Apparently not. We only had one crew member on board (Marjorie), one pilot and three seats per row(two one side one the other) - from my perspective, this was a dodgy design for seating arrangements of anything that flies with me in it.  How is there a balanced weight ratio with me on one side and mum and dad on the other?  And Marjorie our flight attendant then started speaking to us.  She was a lovely lady who told us in the briefing there were no life jackets on this plane but instead, we could use our seats as flotation devices should we find ourselves with such a need. My stomach had grown a group of cocoons ready to set free a kaleidoscope of butterflies loose on my stomach. I took the single seat on the left of the plane, which was a window seat, and prepared myself for a ride.  Everything will be fine I kept telling myself. 


I looked forward to the pilot's reassuring message.  But then it came.  He told us about the conditions of the sky above, as any normal captain of a commercial plane does, and I was not amused to say the least, and I quote, from the best of memory, "Good afternoon folks, this afternoon on our way to Quebec City we should experience some sunny skys, cloudy at times and high gusts during takeoff and landing. There is going to be some turbulance along the way, a bumpy start to the flight and errr.... yeah..... it's not looking good."  Uh, what do you mean it's not looking good?!!


Actually we took off rather smoothly but then just before we reached the first level of clouds, the butterflys were released as there is a sudden drop in the aircraft, followed by some shaking, swaying etc. No wonder if my side of the plane has to balance Mum and Dad's side.  It is fair to say that I started praying we'd make it through in one piece. Not fun. Marjorie even had to put away her drinks trolley before she'd finished serving all 10 rows in the plane.  The flight, after this, consisted of sleeping, reading and chatting. Oh yeah and one other thing, halfway across a lake it suddenly started decending rapidly and turning hard right.  What was going on? I checked - no Dad hadn't taken on more weight his side by eating his lunch.  Later we realised we were taking an emergency landing in, what turned out to be, Clevland, Ohio for a reason which we are still unaware of to this day.  This is how we found out "Good afternoon folks it's your captain speaking, it seems we are going to have to land in ....static...pokdsfonjirbbjbhrrpphm .... and change planes due to the....static.... pajnosdknfjbdjnvsjdifijdfijbdjnsnije. .. I hope that sorts out your worries, and, uh, I'll keep you updated.".


We landed in Cleveland, Ohio (we only found this out thanks to apple maps on our mobile phone) There was no sign on the airport buildings.  So we waited, had a small lunch, eventually changed planes and headed off to Quebec City, Canada. After a far less bumpy landing we found ourselves in wet, cool, french speaking Quebec City.  We made our way through the airport security and headed to our hotel the Chateau Frontenac in Old Quebec Town, which is very pretty and very french. Once we droppd our bags off we quickly got changed into our "dress clothes" and headed to La Buche for dinner(a "typical" Quebec restaurant I am told). Dinner consisted of maple syrup infused everything ie. ham, poutine, shepards pie, carrots, pork rinds you name there was a relationship with maple syrup some-how involved in the making. For dessert we headed up to the Chateau Frontenac's club lounge for some refined treats and refreshments, this is also where we could see the river opposite the hotel as well as a good portion of Quebec City. We finally left for bed where we all drifted off to sleep. Here are the photos around today's happenings.


Our Hotel.


Our room.


Me caually resting next to our TV.




Walking to dinner.

Me appreciating the menu.


Pork crackling with maple syrup.

View of the streets.


Nice Houses/Hotels.

Nice Houses/Hotels.

Great view, as you can see.


Me doing the latest editorial for my business.




1 comment:

  1. Great writing Joseph - we had no idea your flight was so awful! Seems to me that it was a good your plane diverted - it sounds about the size of our planes to small regional towns not what we'd expect for an international flight. The tracker map I checked out showed quite a loop in your diversion. Ooh how beautiful a quebec looks I understand it has kept to its french roots but obviously not when it comes to maple syrup!! Absolutely beautiful writing Joseph I'll give you an A+ especially for your similes.

    ReplyDelete